The CAEP Research Committee reviews all requests for the distribution of surveys to those CAEP members who have agreed to participate. Recently, the Research Committee has become aware of member concerns about the number and frequency of surveys that are received by e-mail blast through this process. The Research Committee has endeavored to balance the needs of researchers and the impact on those who have agreed to receive surveys.
- Surveys should be designed to take a maximum of 5-10 minutes to complete.
- The maximum number of questions per survey will be limited to 25.
- Surveys will be reviewed and approved on a first-come-first serve basis. A maximum of one email blast will be sent per week; limiting the number of surveys CAEP will circulate in a given year.
- Due to the limited number of surveys CAEP will distribute per year, CAEP will endeavour to put forward surveys that contribute to the practice of emergency medicine. Where a survey is deemed to be of marginal significance to the practice of emergency medicine by the CAEP Research Survey Representative, a final decision about distribution will be decided by a tribunal. The tribunal will consist of the CAEP Research Committee Chair, the CAEP Research Survey Representative, and an ad-hoc member of the CAEP Research Committee.
- Similarly, if the survey is longer than 5 – 10 minutes to complete (or 25 questions), it will be reviewed by the tribunal who will determine if the survey can be circulated to members.
- Unless special circumstances arise, CAEP will distribute a maximum of one survey per first (or senior) author per academic year (September – August). Consideration for a special circumstance designation must be submitted to the CAEP Head Office for consideration.[i]
Process for Research Surveys Distributed to Consenting CAEP Members
- The distribution of surveys to CAEP members is a benefit of CAEP membership.
- All survey requests must be approved by the CAEP Research Committee.
- Survey requests are only accepted from current CAEP members for the purpose of research.
- All materials must be submitted for approval by the Research Committee. Once submitted, no changes can be made.
- Materials required for approval:
- Research Ethics Board letter of approval
- PDF copy of survey
- All e-mail text including initial, reminders, and a live link to the survey
- There is a maximum of three distributions per survey request, including pre-notification and survey distribution e-mails.
- The current rate for each survey distribution is $250 per e-mail blast.
- CAEP members, who consent to receive surveys, are not required to answer any survey and may opt out at any time.
To request a survey distribution or if you have any questions regarding research surveys, please contact Shanna Scarrow (firstname.lastname@example.org).